Sunday, July 12, 2009

Getting some rides in!


Just one of the viewpoints from the new, machine built trail network in Susanville Ranch Park. This looks down on the small town of Susanville, formerly a mining and logging town, is now home to a large prison. The majority of the town's economy relies on the High Desert State Prison, as many of its residents are guards or otherwise employees of the prison.The network features many route choices, and though their are just 14 miles of trail, it would likely be at least 25 miles of riding to do every trail. This "stacked loop" format is common in planned recreational-exercise trail networks currently being built. Their are many fast, fun, flowy sections of trails with nice berms and water-bars turned into small table-tops. Unfortunately for me, while soaring through the air off of a particularly nicely placed water-bar, grinning madly, I noticed a purple bag flying next to me out of the corner of my eye. Turns out, it was the bag I use to keep my camera in, and it had come out of my camelback as I launched off the lip of the jump. I landed nicely and came to a stop; the camera hit a large rock, bounced, hit a larger rock, and came to stop in the dirt. Not surprisingly, it was then broken, and the photos in the post are the last ones that camera will ever take.
You Are Here (YAH) maps such as this one are at virtually every intersection in this new trail network. Many of the turns are bermed, however most of the berms are unfinished and unridder. The loose, dry dirt and lack of ridership combined with the mixed use of equestrian riders leaves the trail surface unfit for the smooth, flowing riding style machine built trails are known for. Many of the berm turns are dangerously unfinished, while some are perfect. Similarly, some turns are bermed whereas others simply are not, a combination which hazardously keeps you guessing. Perhaps after a few more seasons of use and maintenance this trail network will be ripping fast and flowy; for now riders will have to settle for an extremely well-marked network of fun trails in a stacked loop format, with no lack of elevation.
These trails may prove to be a fine example of mixed-use trails working properly in a few seasons of use, however currently they need work, and the horse traffic has already wash-boarded some of the trail surface and left nasty piles of poop in the middle of the trail. Why is it horses always choose to shit just after going around a blind turn?

I know it's been a while since I've updated the blog, however we've been very busy with work in the park! When I do have my day off, such as today, I usually spend it taking care of laundry, relaxing, trying to fit a ride in and getting provisions for the coming week. Today was no different, I spent the morning replacing my now useless camera with a new and incredible DSLR camera! This spectacular birthday present will come in handy as we hike around the southern half of the park in the coming weeks. I took a number of test photos, and some good ones during my ride today; the full write-up will have to wait, unfortunately, as it is getting near ten o'clock and I still have to drive back to the park. Our next day off will be next Thursday so I'll try to have a few posts prepared, such as one I've been meaning to write about the changes in the weather since we arrived on June 2nd. Till then, cheers my friends, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. happy (late) birthday, sorry i didn't "say" it to you on facebook--because, ya know, that's the way it should be :p

    hope you are doing okay too. my camera broke as well! i finally updated my blog, by the way, if you want to follow.

    ReplyDelete